Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Party in the "New House"


Here are pictures from our first High Priest Social. LaVar volunteered our house for the second weekend after the movers came. We thought that a bunch of older adults could probably handle a few boxes scattered here and there, our art work for the walls on the floor for now. We then needed to put it off a week because we wanted to go to Mary Rich's wedding in Washington DC temple. The group leader who is 35 years old about and has 3 young children, was ok with postponing it. Then on Sunday this same group leader announced that the social was for families. That upset me because I just "Assumed" it was adults. We worried about the shakey railing on the third floor, the glass cabinets,... etc. The Robertsons ( group leader and family) came over and assured us that our home would be fine. In answer to his wife's questions I found out that we would be serving, "burgers and dogs". Yikes, not my favorites but..... Ketchup and mustard, white carpet oh, my. Then I just told myself "hey, you don't want to have 'one of those houses' where the Bishop is ask to take off his shoes or just not useful because it could get messed up. Just sit back and what will happen will and you can be happy you tried.




So the Lady in the hat is Helena Adelin, she is originally from Finland. Dad and I home teach her. She moved in the same week we did. She has come to care for an 102 year old lady, who is her sister's mother-in-law. Helena's sister and her husband are gone on a mission. She is from Salt Lake City. Is an interior designer and goes nuts for Brad's Oly stuff. The lady in the blue Lynn Shealy is my visiting teaching companion. And the couple are the Naylors



I saved the best for last. Dad doing karaoke with a few of the other men, including Chris Robertson the group leader and Charlie Brown who had been baptized and hour before. We wondered what the neighbors thought, "Oh, great a beer bash-there goes the neighborhood!
The only incident, I knocked over a lamp. NOW that is justice. Everyone else was careful that was nice. Many of the children liked the croquet outside and asking to use the vacant lot introduced me to Doreen who lives nearer the beach and she has asked me over and that was nice. The only thing that needed picked up was brownie crumbs. Why are brownies just a staple at gatherings like these?

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Looks like fun.

Collings Family said...

White carpet is the bane of my existence. John's parents had it off of the kitchen and for the two years we lived there with our two toddlers I wnated to pull my hair out every day. Still do, and I don't even live there anymore! Loved the karaoke :)