Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What do you grow in the sandy soil of the desert?


Carrots! Carrots and parsnips that can be dug up in February and be enjoyed. We got this big crop just last weekend. The parsnips were wonderful and the carrots are good too. Some were small but still worth scrubbing and eating.









Oliver and Evan do you remember digging some baby carrots in August? You thinned them some and they would have grown bigger if they had had more space.





















Carrot man with a baby.








How does a carrot grow like this?? It looks like a carrot man without a head and holding a baby carrot.
We roasted these when we had some people come to dinner on Sunday. They are very good. The parsnips were the best. Great- Grandma Cecile said parsnips are better after the freeze comes.
I will bring some of these with me when I come this week.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Parsnips are my favorite!! For some reason we have never tried to grow them. Ollie sure likes those "carrot guys". "Where is them's head?"

Collings Family said...

That carrot man is a hoot. I can't believe you are harvesting vegetables in Feb. I can't wrap my brain around it!

Unknown said...

weird

Stephny said...

I've never had parsnips.... what are they like?

Judy Huntzinger said...

sort of like a carrot in texture, when they are cooked, we only eat them cooked. They taste more like a butternut squash, nutty. They are white carroty, squashy tasting.... thing.