 |
| We left Reagan National July 14th for the Huntzinger Family Reunion in Fallon Nevada. We met Rachel in Chicago and we got to hold Naomi while she slept. After landing in Reno, and getting a rental car, our first stop was the Reno temple for a photo shoot. It was a bright clear day, as usual in Reno. Grandma Cecile hadn't been feeling very well, but she was a trooper as we all descended on their home. Many of us stayed in a local motel with a swimming pool which proved to be our greatest recreation since it was so hot. It's a great memory and we thank those who got to come for helping us make those memories. Linda had been in Fallon for almost a month filming the folks and their life stories. We will make copies for our children. She has also finished a book about some of our ancestors, Always to a New Frontier. Hope you have been able to read through it, it has some great stories in it and is written so well. | |
| |
|
 |
| Rather a random picture taker. This is in Grandma's bedroom where I brought scout patches to have the boys sort out. I am so glad I did because they had them sorted out in minutes. That also led to stories of their childhood, which included some never heard before details of the fire in the George Washington National forest. As we were sitting there, Sam and Ollie came with the look of panic and Sam motioning to Tim said, "Dad, I really need your help!" It seemed that one of the chickens got out of great grandpa's chicken coop and the boys couldn't get it back and needed help. I was so impressed with this story; first, because of the look on Sam's face; second, that he was willing to come and get help when he needed it ( since we were just talking about a time when Tyler and Tim had made decisions that got them into more trouble than they even imagined); and third, that Tim and Tyler both jumped up to help their sons when they asked for it. I was glad to see that they are being such great dads to our precious grandchildren. |
 |
| I tried several times to get a cute picture of Tucker and this antique truck being run through the rocks. After this one I said, "ok, one more", and he said "no" and walked away. |
 |
| Some of the group ready to hike the desert petroglyphs and on up the hills to the caves. |
 |
| Ollie had some blue Gatoraide before we left to hydrate him for the walk. |
 |
| Some of the carvings are more self explanatory than others. They were all over these rocks. I had no idea when we lived there that these were so interesting. Have I said what a hot day it was? |
 |
| The first cave was "cool" on several levels. |
 |
| This is the ceiling of the first cave. Wonderful patterns. |
 |
| What is the walk in the desert without catching hold of the locals? |
 |
| Lichen has always interested me. It has such bright colors. In a desert landscape of so much dull brown, dull green and gray these colors are unusual. |
 |
| Why would I want to memorialize this look? Umm I wonder, but that is how it was. And it was extremely hot already. We were the last ones to come walking back to the cars. |
 |
| How many "Huntzinger's" can one get in one place? About 47 it seems, that is about half of the family. We certainly missed those that were not able to come. Laytons had all of their children and grandchildren there, as did Brad. All the rest of us were missing some. We are grateful to those that made great efforts to be there. Natalie Petersen came on the train from Utah, 15 hours, stayed one day and left with Terry and her family. |
 |
| The auction was well attended. There were many interesting objects. Cecile brought many things from her house and garage. The bidding was slow as many of us spent our money just getting there. There were some interesting purses that seemed to be full of personal stuff that got offered but the owners recognized them before the bidding stopped. |
We are grateful of the Huntzinger family and we have a good time when we get together. Thanks to Brett and Rowena for many of the meals etc. Grandma has not been feeling well since we left. She has had a bad time with vomiting and fatigue. I asked if Ralph had also been sick and she said, "No, and that just makes me so MAD!" and then laughed a hearty laugh. Ha, great lady with a wonderful sense of humor and has left a great legacy.
2 comments:
Thanks for posting that report! We're sorry we missed it!
Thanks for the photos and stories. Would have been nice to be there but, you know...life is like that Perfectly impractical. I hope Grandma feels well soon. I bet she got exhausted with all of the fun and excitement.
Post a Comment