INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter flavored extract
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and flavorings and mix well. Stir flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to batter and mix well. CHILL 3-4 hours or overnight before using. Roll cookies out approximately 1/4 inch thick and insert cookie sticks at least 1/3 to 1/2 way into cookie. Bake cookies at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes. (Mine was a slow oven and I turned it up to 365 degrees and three on a sheet took 20 minutes.) This dough keeps well in a covered container in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Decorate as desired. Display 3-7 cookies in a 6 inch clay pot (depending on size of cookie). Weigh pot down with dried beans and cut a circle of Styrofoam to fit snugly into top. Add ribbons and enjoy.
Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and flavorings and mix well. Stir flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to batter and mix well. CHILL 3-4 hours or overnight before using. Roll cookies out approximately 1/4 inch thick and insert cookie sticks at least 1/3 to 1/2 way into cookie. Bake cookies at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes. (Mine was a slow oven and I turned it up to 365 degrees and three on a sheet took 20 minutes.) This dough keeps well in a covered container in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Decorate as desired. Display 3-7 cookies in a 6 inch clay pot (depending on size of cookie). Weigh pot down with dried beans and cut a circle of Styrofoam to fit snugly into top. Add ribbons and enjoy.
These were easy to cook. I had cookie cutters from JoAnn's or Micheals and I got shiskabob skewers from Wal-Mart they had 3 sizes and I got the longest. They were near the paper plates and bar-b-que things. I made sure they were a little over 1/4 inch thick but not 1/2, those were too heavy. I pushed the stickes almost to the top and hopefully in the middle front to back. I made 54 this large size and made 3 times the recipe.
Laura the icing went well. I made just a powdered sugar and milk, with a bit of almond flavoring because the vanilla made it a muddy color. Then I
made royal icing for the decorations. The cookies
I planted grass in a large flower pot and stuck the cookies in. That means the sticks come out with dirt on them not the best idea. Something else would have been better. I just wrapped them with saran wrap. Many sisters took several... (hadn't planned on that either.) It was very fun to do and I would love to do that again.
7 comments:
Those are so cute!
I didn't know they turned out so cute! Do u have to put in the sticks while they are still hot? I love the way you decorated them too!
So cute and I bet they were delicious! Looks like the hard work paid off :)
I'm glad the icing worked well. Next time you could use styrofoam or one of those green blocks that they use for floral arrangements if you don't want dirt. they do look pretty, and I am sure it was a lot of work!
Oh, the sticks go in before cooking. They bake that way
Those really turned out great. Hope the party went well also.
Really great looking cookies!
Post a Comment