We will miss him. He had such an infectious laugh, and he saw humor in just about everything. He died of brain cancer. He had been known, they said, as “the come back kid” because he had survived so many ailments over the years. I will tell you more about that at the end when I retell some of the stories that were told about him.
Vonn was the twin son of Bob and Rose Jenkins, Grandma Cecile Huntzinger’s older brother. Vonn has three older brothers, Kim (and Jeannie, they live in Las Vegas), Montel (and Jackie live in Renton Washington. LaVar and Monty were born the same day, same hospital in Farmington NM. They call themselves twin cousins. Kim and Montel were born 11 months apart. They were in the same grade at school and LaVar rounded out the threesome.) Nate (and Carol live in Reno). Vonn Jess has a twin cousin Vern Wes. They don’t look much alike and their personalities are different too. Vonn married Jani and Vern married Jan, funny tidbit, Vern lives in Washington I think. They have a son that lives in Alexandria so maybe we will get to see them again. Many stories have been told over the years about these brothers and the mischief they caused together. On the other hand even alone Vonn could cause the shaking of the head and a giggle. Added to this family there is Neena the long awaited girl who with her family lives in Branson Missouri, Brother Dean Dutton is her Bishop and Hardy ( who with his wife Renea live in Bountiful Ut.)
Vonn and Jani have three children, Jess E. that shows some humor there because a few of us always called him, Jessie and thought that was his name. Jess and his wife Sarah have 2 children. Jess just started medical school somewhere in the Caribbean. Elizabeth is in her last semester at BYU and Allie is a senior in High School.
You will notice that Mark (Kim and Jeannie’s son) played his Euphonium. I would never know about this instrument if it wasn’t for him. I dare to say that no one else could ever play it like he can. I have been moved to tears every time I have heard him play. The first time was in our home in Fredericksburg when he came to our home to stay during auditions for the Marine Corps band, which he made and still plays in. He then played “Be Still My Soul” for a fireside that we had, he came to our home for Thanksgiving that year and played again. “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” was the request Vonn asked him to play. It touched many people. Mark and his wife Agatha live in Fairfax, we are hoping to get together with them and Micah and Stephanie sometime soon
We all rode from Fallon to Reno together. Brad had asked Terry if she would help Jani with the casket spray of flowers. Because she wanted to we all stayed and hopefully helped. It was a beautiful arrangement of blue hydrangeas, roses, ivy, fern, protea, lilies and a wonderful mix of wild flowers. It was a gift of love from Jani to Vonn.I want to remember the scene of Jani in her beautiful cream colored suit, hugging each distinguished looking brother after they lifted Vonn’s coffin. She seemed so small compared to them and yet it was her and her husband that were the peacemakers among the group.
All of Grandma’s children were there except Tammy because they were on their way to Tim and Tricia’s for the birth of their second son. Terry had heard that Vonn was failing but hadn’t heard that he had passed away until she called that Saturday afternoon and LaVar answered. He told her why we were there. Terry and Linda got on the road right away and were there before church let out on Sunday morning. Bryce (Cecile’s brother Dan’s son) came right after the wedding of their daughter on Friday in Arizona. Dick Wilson who is Lynn’s son is in the picture. Lynn is Cecile’s sister, Lynn passed away July 4 this year.
It was wonderful to be with so many family members. See the relationship and hear their memories. These are the things I wanted to share with you and remember. Since this is such a long blog I will write the stories others shared about Vonn tomorrow. That is what I wrote on the back page with Neena’s poem.
Tap dancing class
Dug a hole
Age 6 double barreled gun/ crayons
7 yrs. Tractor
Driving simulator
Vonn dating 2 girls
Bronco Mendenhall~ footballs
3 comments:
Nice to be able to feel the strength of family throught the changing cycle of life. It sounds like you enjoyed the trip and being with the grands, brothers and sisters.
I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. Hope you are doing well.
I love hearing about funerals like this. Since both of my parents were the youngest in their family and I am almost the youngest- I've been to LOTS of funerals. The best are the ones that turn into a celebration of the life lived. Sounds like this was that kind of occasion. Can't wait to hear more.
Post a Comment